Here are five things to keep in mind while building your WordPress website so you can get started on the right foot.
FIRST – Set up your hosting
1. The first thing that you should do is set up hosting with a domain name and then download WordPress from the official website. Hosting is a term used to describe the process of storing and delivering information from a website or company’s database to a browser.
When someone visits an internet site, the hosting provider delivers the files to the user’s computer. In order for this to happen there must be a variety of components involved in order for this process to work. Those include: web servers, load balancers, storage, networks, and datacenters.
How to choose a good hosting company
You need to choose hosting that is appropriate to your needs now, but also your needs for the future. It is important to have speed, power and good security. Also it is critical that there is good hosting support. Sometimes when your site isn’t working it could be a hosting issue and you need to be able to contact someone and have this sorted swiftly.
You also need to be able to upgrade things if you need to. Also it’s good to make sure that the company you choose to host your website also keep their hosting up to date.
SECOND – Install a theme
2. The second thing you should do is to install a theme. You also have the option of creating your own theme, though that would require some experience in HTML and CSS as well as WordPress development which is not why you are here!
So, we suggest using a base theme that you can build on. Some of the more powerful themes will allow you to build your website from scratch and they allow you to pretty much change anything you want on your website.
WordPress theme recommendations
AVADA by Theme Fusion – we have been using this theme since it launched in 2012 and, despite some speed issues, it is now one of the most popular themes out there. And they have completely sorted out the speed issues – so we’re glad we stuck with them. For a one time fee of $74* including tax, you can purchase AVADA here.
ASTRA with Elementor Builder – So AVADA has its own builder plugin but other themes need to use an external builder. Since its launch in 2016, Elementor has grown expontetially and as of January 2021 really gained in popularity and is available in over 57 languages. The beauty of Elementor is speed. It is very slick, easy to use and comes with bundles of features. When you pair Elementor with ASTRA theme you have a powerful yet fast and ‘light’ WordPress building team. Add to this your own creativity and flair and you should be able to build an amazing website.
THIRD – Get your website layout
3. Select the layout of your website – there are many different layouts to choose from: modern, classic or pure. Many of the powerful themes (as with AVADA and ASTRA) you can take a look at ‘demo’ sites which you can upload and use as a starting point for your website.
We sometimes do this ourselves just to get a layout which a client has shown preference for. We then make the site entirely their own. It’s just a way to not have to start from scratch and keep our prices down whilst still building a bespoke website. But, for you, this could be an amazing starting point to get a professional website build.
FOURTH – Add functionality
4. Start adding functionality with those plugins we explained before. As I also said, make sure you do your plugin research. If you upload a plugin and it doesn’t quite work for you, don’t panic. Just delete it and pick another one.
Sometimes there can be a plugin conflict. This means that the code from a plugin can conflict with your theme or even another plugin on your site. If this happens then again, just pick another one. We sometimes have to try 2 or 3 before finding the right one that suits our needs and design. Make sure you are backing things up regularly so that if there is a conflict and things break then you can restore easily to how things were before the rogue plugin was uploaded.
FIFTH – Creating content
5. Start creating content for your website. Strategies for creating content for a website can be difficult to develop. With so many options and possibilities, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. Here are some of the most commonly used strategies: First and foremost, if you already have an established blog or website and you are just re-designing things, you don’t need to create new content. Of course, you can use what you already have available.
Excite, inform and engage
However, if your business is a new business then you may need to start from scratch. Web content is the backbone of any new business. It needs to be engaging, informative, and well-written in order to attract potential customers. There are several ways that owners can create website content for their business. The two most popular methods are outsourcing and writing content yourself.
Outsourcing has many benefits including finding someone with more expertise than you have, allowing you to focus on other aspects of your business, and having someone else take care of all the headaches that come with creating web content.
To create amazing graphics for both your website and for your social media accounts the absolute best programme you can use for this is something called CANVA. Get the pro account – it’s only about $10 a month and worth its weight in gold! – Sign up for Canva here – you WILL NOT regreat it.
Whichever route you go down we believe that the most important thing you can do first is your keyword research. If you know your keywords and phrases for your industry, then these will inform the type of pages and images and even videos you need to create. People will ultimately find your website when searching for you. This is the dream. So we need to know exactly how people are searching and then delivering them with the best result for their search. Our website. Easier said than done but it all begins with keyword research and then creating the right content for your chosen keywords.